Around the Region: Cops Seize $5.6 Million in Crystal Meth, Dog Rescued From Moving Truck Dies and Suspect Wanted for Intimidating Elderly Woman
A look at top Patch stories from around Georgia.
Detectives Seize $5.6 Million of Crystal Meth – Alpharetta Patch
Alpharetta police detectives found 150 pounds of crystal meth valued at $5.6 million at a Collingwood Lane apartment on Aug. 8.
Most of the narcotics were packaged for delivery within the box springs of a mattress. More narcotics were found in the "finishing stage" within a small meth lab, according to a release from George Gordon, spokesman for the Alpharetta Department of Public Safety.
Visit Alpharetta Patch for more on this story.
Dog Rescued From Back of Moving Truck Dies – Cartersville Patch
A dog, whose owner was arrested earlier this week for animal cruelty, has died.
Authorities responded to a Cartersville gas station on Aug. 6 after receiving a complaint that Jerry Mason, 50, of Savannah, was driving a U-haul through Cartersville with his Cocker Spaniel-mix in the back of the moving truck, according to a news release.
When police arrived, the dog was lying next to the truck in the parking lot in apparent physical distress and a concerned citizen was pouring water on the dog to help cool it down.
Mason was arrested and charged with misdemeanor animal cruelty. The dog was taken to a veterinarian for treatment of exhaustion and low glucose levels, but did not survive.
For additional details, visit Cartersville Patch.
Suspect Wanted for Intimidating Elderly Woman – Dunwoody Patch
A Douglasville man is wanted by Dunwoody Police for intimidating a 77-year-old woman into paying $1,500 for work that wasn't done.
Police say Gerald Jerome Davis, 30, approached a woman at her home and offered to perform yard work for "real cheap.” The work was never completed.
When the victim refused to pay, Davis reportedly became verbally aggressive. The woman wrote him a check. She then went to the bank to cancel the check, but it had already been cashed.
Dunwoody Patch has additional details.
You might also be interested in reading:
- $109K Jewelry Heist, Prostitution Sting and Church of Scientology
- Burglary Suspect Escapes by Train, Friend Turns Arsonist After Fight and ‘Breastaurant’ Finding Success in Metro Area
- Thief Swaps Fakes for $49K Rings, Six Flags Looking for Zombies and NAACP Seeks Justice for Tased Minister
- Authorities Identify Body Pulled From Fire Rubble, Woman Dies After Car Hit by Police Cruiser and Stolen Signs Found at Campaign Worker’s Home
- Mosquitoes Test Positive for West Nile, Hitchhiker Arrested and Suspect Trips Over Pile of Wood