Car Windows Smashed to Gain Access to Trunk Release
Victims took precautions to put purses out of sight, but thieves were undeterred.
Despite efforts to conceal their purses, two women still became victims of car break-ins last week at Little Mulberry Park.
The first victim, a Buford woman, said she locked her purse in her trunk before going for a run on the Fence Road side of Little Mulberry on Sept. 23 around 11 a.m. When she returned to her car a half hour later, the driver’s side window of her vehicle had been smashed. The thief or thieves used the trunk lever to open the trunk and steal the victim’s purse which contained her debit card, credit cards, Social Security card, birth certificate and driver’s license.
While meeting with the victim, the officer noticed the driver’s side window of a nearby vehicle had also been smashed. The officer waited for the vehicle owner to return and learned that victim had also locked her purse in the trunk of her car. The Dacula woman said her purse contained her Social Security card, driver’s license, debit card, credit cards and approximately $80 in cash.
The investigating officer noted that it appeared the perpetrator(s) watched the victims secure their purses and then waited for the opportunity to break into the vehicles.
Both cases are listed as active.
Do you routinely scan your surroundings when out and about? What precautions do you take to avoid becoming a victim of crime? Tell us in the comments.
Other recent incidents investigated by the Gwinnett County Police Department include:
- Entering auto in the 2900 block of Luke Edwards Road.
- Identity fraud in the 2200 block of Shin Court.
- Simple battery in the 3200 block of Green Farm Trail.
- Simple battery in the 400 block of Tanner Road.
- Entering auto in the 1400 block of La Maison Drive.
- Simple assault in the 1700 block of Campbell Ives Drive.
- Simple battery in the 4200 block of Mulberry Ridge Lane.
- Financial transaction card fraud in the 800 block of Nichols Landing Lane.
- Theft by taking in the 5300 block of Braselton Highway.
- Two incidents of burglary in the 1400 block of Armende Circle.
- Simple battery near the intersection of Brooks Road and Uniwattee Trail.
- Two cases of entering auto in the 3800 block of Fence Road.
- Simple battery in the 900 block of Redstone Road.
- Theft by shoplifting in the 2200 block of Hamilton Creek Parkway.
- Identity fraud in the 3300 block of Colt Branch Way.
- Theft by taking in the 3200 block of Hampton Trace Court.
- Burglary in the 2000 block of Crowe Road.
- Theft by taking in the 600 block of Auburn Road.
- Theft by taking in the 2500 block of Winder Highway.
- Burglary in the 1000 block of Chateau Forest Road.
For questions about this blotter, email email@example.com.