Couple Found Guilty of Abusing Elderly Woman, Man Commits Suicide During SWAT Standoff and Two Robbed on Georgia Tech Campus
A look at top stories from Patch sites across Georgia.
Pair Guilty of Abuse, Sex Crimes Against 82-Year-Old Woman - Cartersville Patch
A Cartersville man and woman accused of abusing and sexually assaulting an elderly woman were deemed guilty Monday in Bartow County Superior Court, Assistant District Attorney Mickey Thacker said.
A jury found Mark Steven Kent, 52, guilty of aggravated sodomy and sexual battery after his co-defendant, Thelma Helen Riddle, 59, pleaded guilty to abusing an elderly person and testified against Kent in a deal with prosecuting attorneys.
Winder Resident Dead After Standoff With SWAT Team - Barrow Patch
A Winder man is dead following an 11-hour standoff Monday with a SWAT team.
According to the Barrow County Sheriff's Office, 32-year-old Jesse Plunkett died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a Rosebud Lane residence.
According to a news release posted to the agency's Facebook page, a woman called 911 and said the man she lived with had a gun and had made threats toward her and himself. When the man refused to surrender to deputies who arrived on scene, the incident was treated as a barricaded gunman and SWAT personnel were dispatched.
Police Investigating Two Robberies on Georgia Tech Campus - Midtown Patch
The Georgia Tech Police Department is investigating a pair of armed robberies that occurred minutes apart on campus early Tuesday morning.
According to the GTPD, at approximately 1:30 a.m., a male student reported that as he was walking south on Brittain Drive towards Bobby Dodd Way, he noticed a man walking closely behind him.
The suspect approached the victim, displayed a handgun, and demanded the victim's belongings.
You might also be interested in reading:
- Baseball Player Arrested, Robbery Victim Kills Attacker and Fog Blamed in Fatal Accident
- Man Shoots at Utility Workers, Sheriff's Office Replaces Child's Stolen Presents and Murder Suspect Sought
- Drag Racing Crash, Purse-Snatching Arrest and Pantless Taxi Driver
- School Board Member Allegedly Strikes Student With Car, Bank Robbery Suspect Dies of Gunshot and Police Issue Warning About Celebratory Gunfire
- Store Burns to Ground, Man Killed While Trying to Flee and Argument Leads to Multiple Stabbings
- Parking Lot Dispute Video Released, Assistant Solicitor Fired and Carjacked Vehicle Strikes Home