School Board Member Allegedly Strikes Student With Car, Bank Robbery Suspect Dies of Gunshot and Police Issue Warning About Celebratory Gunfire
A look at top stories from Patch sites across Georgia.
School Board Member Arrested After Allegedly Striking Student with SUV - Cartersville Patch
Angela "Angie" Gail Cornett, 41, who serves as District 3 representative and vice chairman, is accused of striking a 17-year-old Adairsville High School student with her vehicle.
The teen told authorities she was standing with a buggy in an empty parking spot—saving the space for her brother's girlfriend, who had recently given birth—when Cornett, driving her SUV, approached and yelled for her to move.
The teen said she told Cornett she was saving the space, but Cornett accelerated her 2007 Lexus GX470 and hit the girl's right leg with the front, passenger tire of the vehicle.
Bank Robbery Suspect Dies After Being Shot by Sheriff's Deputy - Stone Mountain Patch
The suspect in an attempted bank robbery who was shot by a DeKalb County Sheriff's deputy at the Capitol City Bank & Trust Co. on Memorial Drive has died, a spokesman with the sheriff's office said.
The suspect, Eric D. Roberts, of Lithonia, was shot Friday morning at the bank in unincorporated Stone Mountain.
Roberts had previous run-ins with law enforcement, including obstruction, failure to appear and loitering charges, sheriff's office spokesman Adrion Bell said.
Celebratory Gunfire Could Result in $1,000 Fine - Buckhead Patch
The Atlanta Police Department is asking residents in Atlanta not to engage in "celebratory gunfire" this New Year's Eve.
Celebratory gunfire is when people discharge their weapons up in the air as part of the celebration of the New Year. The dangerous, and sometimes fatal, problem occurs after those bullets reach their highest point and then fall back to the ground.
You might also be interested in reading:
- Movie Filming in Metro Area, Boy Seriously Injured in Accident and Human Error Blamed for Carbon Monoxide Leak
- Scantily Clad Santas, Dead Body and a Pie Thief
- Stolen Car Crashes Into Police Cruiser, Student Killed in Accident and Man Tries Again to Have Former Business Partner Killed
- Murder-Suicide, Life Plus 205 Years Jail Sentence and Fatal Crash
- HERO Driver Finds Man Dead, 'Cake Boss' Visits Metro Area and Band to Perform Rose Parade Preview
- Naked Dancing Man, Rabid Cat Attack and Christmas Light Proposal