Workout Costs Man His Wallet and Cell Phone
Auburn man left his belongings in a cubby at Gold’s Gym while he exercised.
An Aug. 30 workout out at Gold’s Gym in Dacula proved costly for an Auburn man.
The man told police he left his wallet and cell phone on a cubby shelf while he worked out at the gym. When he returned to collect his belongings, the items were missing. The man said his wallet contained his driver’s license, two credit cards and a debit card. The phone -- a Blackberry -- had a listed value of $200.
According to the police report, the area of the gym in which the theft occurred is covered by video surveillance. The officer was unable to review the surveillance footage at the time of the report because no staff members on duty at the time had access to the system.
The case is listed as active.
Thieves have persistently targeted patrons of Gold’s Gym over the past few months. The facility has taken several steps to deter crime, and customers have also been asked to secure their belongings before exercising.
Though the majority of the incidents have involved thefts from autos parked at the gym, several incidents have also been reported inside the facility. In July, a man’s gym bag was removed from a locker while he exercised and his phone stolen. In January, a gym bag, which contained a teen’s car keys, house keys, iPhone and school uniform, was taken out of a cubbyhole on the gym floor.
In order to prevent car break-ins or theft of personal belongings, police recommend leaving valuables at home if possible. If you must bring valuables inside the gym, keep them with you at all times or place them in a secured locker. Do not leave keys, wallets, bags or other valuables unattended at any time.
Other recent incidents investigated by the Gwinnett County Police Department include:
- Battery in the 2300 block of Old Fountain Road.
- Battery in the 2600 block of General Lee Way.
- Simple battery near the intersection of Mulberry Lake Drive and Ridgemill Terrace.
- Entering auto in the 2200 block of Hamilton Creek Parkway.
- Theft by taking in the 2000 block of Millcrest Drive.
- Pointing a gun or pistol at another near the intersection of Hurricane Trail and Highway 316.
- Simple battery in the 3400 block of Flat Run Drive.
- Minor in possession of alcohol in the 4400 block of Braselton Highway.
- Simple battery in the 1500 block of Sir Knights Way.
- Battery in the 1900 block of Ambrosia Court.
- Simple battery in the 1000 block of Wallace Hill Ridge.
- Vehicle arson in the 1500 block of Ewing Chapel Road.