Welcome the cool fall weather with this delicious warm pot roast meal. This week’s soul warming recipe comes from Hamilton Mill resident Amy Thompson.
“This dish was made by a former neighbor -- an Italian woman who is the best chef I've ever met,” Thompson said.
There is nothing better than good old comfort food to warm the soul. This classic pot roast dish is the perfect meal to warm up your family or share with a friend on a special occasion.
“The first time I had this dish was when I came home from the hospital after having my first child,” Thompson shared.
Thompson loves this dish because the meat is so tender and flavorful. To keep it extra tender, she said to be sure to sear the meat well to lock in the juices.
Pot Roast Extraordinaire
Flat brisket pot roast
2 or 3 cans of Campbell’s tomato soup (depending on how much gravy you want)
2 or 3 cans of water
1 package of onion soup mix
1 can of brown gravy
½ bottle of beer (dark beer adds more flavor)
1 big bag of baby-cut carrots
1 package of egg noodles
1. Trim fat off bottom of meat.
2. Dredge meat in flour.
3. Heat Dutch oven or deep pot with a little olive oil in the bottom.
4. Sear meat on all sides.
5. Add all other ingredients except the noodles.
6. Bring to a boil, then lower the temperature and simmer for about five hours. This process will fill your house with a fantastic aroma.
7. Turn meat over in gravy several times to cook evenly. When the meat is done, it should fall apart easily when pressed with a fork.
9. When the pot roast is ready, cook the egg noodles according to directions on package.
10. Serve pot roast over a bed of salted egg noodles.
Pot Roast Extraordinaire is so warm and tender, it is sure to be a favorite comfort food in your home.
Do you have a dish you would like to share? We would love to hear from you. We have had several requests for budget friendly meals, gluten-free dishes and fall recipes. Click here to email your favorite recipe.
Until next week, keep living a life filled with food, friends and fun!