Two people drowned and at least five were injured on Georgia waterways during the Memorial Day weekend, according to the Georgia Department of Natural Resources.
Here’s a preliminary report from the DNR’s Law Enforcement Division for Saturday-Monday:
- Eighteen-year-old Chance Werner, 18, drowned in Lake Allatoona after an accident at Dock D of Holiday Harbor Marina in Bartow County.
- William Brown drowned in the Atlantic Ocean near Tybee Island. His body was recovered from the Atlantic Ocean by Tybee Island PD.
Boating Under the Influence: 32
- BUIs on some of the larger lakes include Allatoona, 1; Lanier, 10; Oconee,1; Clarks Hill, 3; Sinclair, 1; Jackson, 1.
Boating Incidents: 9
Rangers responded to 9 incidents.
- Lanier (5/24): PWC ran into a boat in Shoal Creek-0 injuries
- Lanier (5/25): Fire on a Pontoon-Bald Ridge Creek-0 injuries
- Lanier (5/25): Boat that Sank near Aqualand Marina-0 injuries
- Lanier (5/25): PWC and vessel collision near Van Pugh Park-2 minor injuries
- Hartwell (5/25): minor incident-0 injuries
- West Point (5/25): Tubing incident where a tuber was thrown off tube/injuring neck/shoulder
- Lanier (5/26): 15 year-old fell off a pontoon in Chestatee River area and was struck by boat (transported to NE Ga Medical Center)
- Lanier (5/26): Fisherman pushed his boat away from Lula Bridge and fell into water, inhaled water while under (transported to NE GA Medical Center)
- Lanier (5/26): Rangers working one incident in Burton Mill area (details not available)
Boating Incident Related Injuries: 5
Boating Incident Related Fatalities: 0
2013 Memorial Day Statistics
Boating incidents: 8
Boating-related injuries: 6