An 8-year-old boy was struck with a baseball bat when an Oct. 15 neighborhood football game took a violent turn.
According to police, several children were playing football at a Hamilton Mill home when one of the boys, age 7, grabbed a baseball bat and struck one of the other players. Several adults rushed in and took the bat from the child. The mother of the bat-wielding child ran to check on the child that had been hit and sent her child inside their home. The child reportedly came back outside with two butcher knives. The knives were taken away before the child left the property. A witness said the child then grabbed a golf club and began swinging it in anger. At that point, the uncle of the child that had been hit called police.
The mother of the bat-wielding child said her son had been diagnosed with a medical disorder that manifests with aggressive behavior. The uncle of the child that had been hit said he was aware of the issue since the bat-wielding child had broken one of his windows with a shovel in May.
Juvenile court officials later instructed the investigating officer to file an aggravated assault charge against the 7-year-old assailant.
When advised of the charge, the parents of the assailants explained their child was in counseling and had been provoked prior to the incident. The mother accused two of the other football players of “picking on” her child and knocking him down any time they had the opportunity.
The case is now being handled by the juvenile court system.
Other recent incidents investigated by the Gwinnett County Police Department include:
- Theft by deception in the 1000 block of Grayson Oaks Drive.
- Motor vehicle theft in the 1500 block of Bramlett Hill Drive.
- Burglary in the 1400 block of Harbins Road.
- Financial transaction card fraud in the 2200 block of Lakeway Drive.
- Burglary in the 500 block of Cedar Court.
- Identity fraud in the 1400 block of Ivey Pointe Drive.
- Second-degree criminal damage in the 2700 block of Links Overlook Drive.
- Theft by taking in the 2500 block of Harbins Road.
- Theft by taking in the 1200 block of Winder Highway.
- Second-degree criminal damage in the 1700 block of Greyleaf Lane.
- Vandalism near the intersection of Pipeline Road and Stanley Road.
- Entering auto in the 500 block of Chadmon Court Trace.
- Entering auto in the 2400 block of Kelman Place.
- Theft by taking in the 700 block of Fairview Club Lane.
- Theft by taking in the 1700 block of Harbins Road.
- Theft, lost or mislaid property in the 400 block of Hurricane Shoals Road.
- Entering auto in the 400 block of Rabbit Hill Road.
- Entering auto in the 300 block of Circle Road.
- Entering auto in the 1000 block of Fairview Club Circle.
- Motor vehicle theft in the 4300 block of Hog Mountain Road.
- Aggravated assault in the 1800 block of Sanborne Way.
- Aggravated assault in the 2400 block of Hamilton Mill Road.
- Theft by taking in the 1400 block of Cains Road.
- Entering auto in the 3000 block of Grove View Court.
- Burglary in the 3500 block of Indian Shoals Road.
- Vandalism in the 1700 block of Flowery Branch Road.
- Motor vehicle theft in the 3800 block of Fence Road.
For questions about this blotter, email email@example.com.