A Dacula resident had a close call last night when a home in the 2600 block of Dawning Day Drive was struck by lightning.
According to Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services public information officer Capt. Tommy Rutledge, the caller reported smoke inside the home after a lightning strike. Crews found an electrical odor inside the house, but no flames.
Fire crews were also called to the Gwinnett County Police precinct on Mall of Georgia Boulevard after the building was apparently struck by lightning. Crews found smoke inside the building. A sprinkler head had also been activated. The strike caused minor damage, Rutledge said.
Several other homes and businesses in Gwinnett were also damaged. Firefighters responded to the following incidents during the storm:
- Person injured in the 2800 block of Cove Crossing Drive. A teenage girl reportedly was standing in a doorway and fell when lightning struck nearby. She was transported to the hospital for evaluation of minor injuries.
- Reported house fire in the 3500 block of Flat Run Drive in Bethlehem. The caller reported smelling smoke in the attic after a lightning strike. The roof was damaged, but there were no signs of smoke or fire when crews arrived.
- Reported house fire in the 2400 block of Ashbourne Drive in Lawrenceville. A caller reported a possible lightning strike to a neighbor’s home. Firefighters found evidence of a nearby lightning strike, but no structural damage.
- Reported house fire in the 1200 block of Della Way in Lawrenceville. Crews found a tree on fire close to the residence after a caller reported a possible lightning strike.
- Reported house fire in the 2700 block of Blakely Drive in Suwanee. Crews found smoke coming from a clothes dryer. A lightning strike is believed to have been the cause of the smoke.
- . A fire believed to have been caused by a lightning strike caused heavy damage to a Chateau Elan home. No one was home at the time of the incident.
- Lightning strike in the 500 block of Rosedown Way in Lawrenceville. The caller reported smoke inside the home.
- Business fire at Lifetime Fitness on North Brown Road in Lawrenceville. Staff from the business reported a lightning strike and the smell of smoke. Six electrical breakers were tripped and power to the facility was out when fire crews arrived. No injuries were reported.
During the storm, firefighters also responded to numerous calls involving downed wires, woods fires, activated alarms and vehicle accidents. At the height of the storm, 390 calls per hour were coming into the 911 center.