Gwinnett County Police are investigating a Feb. 16 incident in which three masked suspects knocked on the door of a Hamilton Mill home.
According to the police report, a Manor View Court homeowner heard a knock on her door at approximately 9 p.m. When the woman looked outside, she saw three people standing in front of the door wearing black masks. The woman ran to the phone and called police. By the time she looked outside again, the masked individuals were gone.
Several police units canvassed the area searching for the suspects. The Gwinnett County Police helicopter was also called to assist, but the suspects were not located.
The homeowner told police two of the three suspects were dressed entirely in black and the third suspect was wearing an American flag shirt. She was unable to provide any further identifying information.
The case is listed as active.
The Gwinnett County Police Department offers seven tips to make your home a less attractive target for criminals:
- Install motion sensor lights on the front and rear of your home.
- Keep doors and windows locked. Do not hide house keys outside of your home. Burglars are familiar with the most common locations in which keys are hidden.
- Remind neighbors to call the police immediately if they see any suspicious activity at your home.
- Keep shrubbery and trees trimmed. Overgrown trees and shrubbery can provide criminals with a hiding place.
- Purchase an alarm system for your home or business and use it.
- When away from home, use a timer to activate interior lights at various times to give your home the appearance of being occupied.
- If you are going to be away from home for several days, arrange to have your mail and newspaper delivery stopped or ask a trusted friend or neighbor to retrieve your mail and paper each day.