Thursday, January 20, 2011
Comedy, art and fine food are on this weekend's agenda.
- THE NEIGHBORHOOD FILES
- Kristi Reed
Thursday, January 20, 2011
1. Laugh Until Your Stomach Hurts. If laughter is the best medicine, then the Dacula Park Activity Building is the place to go for a cure this Friday night. The Belly Laugh Comedy Competition will feature PG-rated comedy for ages 13 and up. Prizes will be awarded for audience favorites. The laughs begin at 7 p.m. The Dacula Park Activity Building is located at 2735 Old Auburn Avenue in Dacula. Call 770-614-2060 for more information. 2. Help Beautify the Community. Do you love the smell of ground up cedar? Enjoy the sound of wood chippers? Then head out to Bethesda Park on Saturday morning for the 25th annual “Bring One for the Chipper” recycling event. Gwinnett Clean and Beautiful is seeking volunteers to help recycle Christmas trees for …
Friday, January 14, 2011
Looking for a cure for cabin fever? This weekend’s offerings include a Falcons’ football party, live musical entertainment, dancing and a chance to get your finances in order.
1. Listen to an Up-and-Coming Local Artist Tonight. Atlanta native Sarah Peacock, a pop-country vocalist, is scheduled to perform at Friends in Dacula at 7 p.m. tonight. Friday night is also ladies martini night. More than 15 different types of martinis are available in a variety of unique flavors including Cherry Cosmo, Appletini and Pink Flamingo. Friends is located at 752 Dacula Road. 2. Do the Dirty Bird at Del Rio. On Saturday night, head to Del Rio to watch the NFC playoffs between our own Atlanta Falcons and the Green Bay Packers. Watch the game on Del Rio’s 110-inch television screen - or any of the other 28 high definition tvs - and enjoy wing and beer specials as part of the viewing party. The fun lasts all evening long. 3. Read…
Friday, January 7, 2011
Get your motor running at the races, laugh it up at the BVT or get ready for that June wedding with Dacula Patch's picks for weekend entertainment.
1. Head to the Racetrack. This weekend Lanier National Speedway will host the fourth annual Ice Cold Shriner's Bowl. Races begin Friday and continue throughout the weekend. Prices for admission start as low as $10. Three-day pit passes are available for $70. LNS is a short drive up I-85 to exit 129. The racetrack is four miles north of the interstate at 5309 Winder Highway. 2. Shop for local food and crafts. Local growers and artisans will be hawking their wares this Saturday at the Dacula Farmer's Market from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. The market is open year-round and is held indoors during inclement weather. In addition to shopping, visitors to the market can enjoy other activities (weather permitting) such as hay rides and petting farm …
Friday, December 31, 2010
Ring in the New Year with great food, a cold swim or family entertainment.
1. Celebrate New Year's at a local restaurant. Several Dacula eateries are hosting New Year's Eve celebrations. Check out the complete list here. 2. Watch the Gladiators Take on the Nailers Head to the Gwinnett Arena tonight to watch the Gladiators take on the Wheeling Nailers. The New Year's Eve celebration will include party favors and a special "Kids Count Down" during the second intermission. The Gladiators take to the ice at 6 p.m. at the Arena, 6400 Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth. Visit www.gwinnettgladiators.com for details. 3. Take a Dip in the Lake Celebrate the New Year with a cold swim in Lake Lanier. For $25, you can get thoroughly chilled as part of this official fundraiser for the Lanier Canoe and Kayak Club. Families can …
Sunday, December 26, 2010
Looking for something to do this Christmas weekend? Take a look at our Patch picks for holiday entertainment.
1. Take the kids to a puppet show This afternoon, Hamilton Mill United Methodist Church will present a special Christmas Eve program for children. The annual Puppet Christmas Candlelight Service is a popular, 30-minute program geared for children of all ages. Show times are at 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. For more information, call 770-271-8855. 2. Attend a Christmas worship service Several area churches will host Christmas Eve services this evening. Harbins Community Baptist Church, 12 Stone, Hamilton Mill United Methodist, Hebron Baptist, Cornerstone Fellowship, New Branch Community Church, Hamilton Mill Presbyterian Church and Dacula United Methodist are among the local churches with services planned. On Christmas Day, Prince of Peace Catholic …